RE: Europa-List: Re: Mono tail wheel spring mounting bolt break

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Mono tail wheel spring mounting bolt break
From: roddy kesterton <roddyeuropa@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 08:13:47

I agree that these are really good solutions, so thank you Eric and John.
They address the issue that the bolt no longer has bending mode, but also
the issue that both Barry and I had in that the bolt seems to have sheered
due to fatigue, and on the ground. The bolt is not in compression on
landing, or when stable on the ground, as the tailwheel arm is pivoted at
the sternpost,. I think that most of the tension stresses causing the
fatigue will come from weight on the bolt during flight, and mine actually
broke after being bounced around on the ground during stormy weather. (I now
also tied down the tailwheel when parked.)
Roddy