Europa-List: Re: LEAKING OIL ON PROPSHAFT BY GEARBOX

Subject: Europa-List: Re: LEAKING OIL ON PROPSHAFT BY GEARBOX
From: willydewey <willydewey@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 03:26:49

Hi Bud & Tim
I appreciate very much your detailed replies to my problem. As Bud says
detective
work is necessary.. I didnt need to investigate in depth as over the weekend
I brushed the whole area in denatured alchool and ran the engine again. its
quite evident that the 'leak' is from the propellor hub as Tim alludes. Its true
I did service the propeller unit in the spring and probably was too generous
with the grease and the recent hot weather in the uk with high engine
temperaturs
exacerbated the problem.. I am not sure if the brushes absorb oil and grease
but they are not making 100% contact so i will replace them. I have taken
onoard Buds advice regarding the gearbox maintenance but maybe its not necessary
at the moment as the engine is only around 500hrs I bought the aircraft at
400 hrs but it first flew in 2006
once again Bud & Tim Thank you for your response. maybe saved me some hard
earned
cash as i was quoted $1500 for a gearbox/seal replacement
Bill
By the way Bud I live quite close to Steve Pitt but have little contact

--------
Give a wise man knowledge and he will be yet wiser

Read this topic online here: