Europa-List: Re: Fuel Management

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Fuel Management
From: graeme bird <graeme@gdbmk.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 23:44:54

My conclusion was the same and I went on a journey with this whole thing:
First I moved the pipe to come up between the seats; this has proved useful for
seeing how much fuel I have when in the hangar before I fly although sometimes
an air bubble in the and fuel in the vent for the pipe means the reading is
misleading. Its affected by where the plane is parked - inclination so I check
it at the same place in the hangar. Occasionally I have used it to second check
in flight. When the fuel is low (below 18ltrs), its hard to see.

Then I installed a capacitive sensor in the tank with a gauge. This is kind of
useful as a second check and reliable but the scale is way off due to the tank
shape. Its also hard to get a good seal on the sender flange. I keep meaning
to add a lineariser circuit on it.

Then I have a differential totaliser (EI 5PL or something); this has been great
and a pretty reliable indication of state,  flow economy etc (so long as fuel
added is entered correctly). I tend to fill to the brim regularly to be
absolutely
sure of state.
So with the three indicators I got to a reasonable level of confidence. Not sure
i'd want to be without any of them now.

--------
Graeme Bird
G-UMPY -  Mono Classic/XS FFW 912S, Woodcomp 3000/3W CS, trutrak Gemini 2 axis
AP, PAW, PFLARM core, ads-b out, 8.33khz, mode S, FP-5, Aera500, SD on Nexus,
SmartA3
325 hours &amp; 6 years on the Mono, 930 total
g@gdbmk.co.uk

Read this topic online here: