Europa-List: Re: Metallurgy and undercarriage legs

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Metallurgy and undercarriage legs
From: tennant <barrington.tennant@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 00:45:39

Hi Jonathan,

Without knowing the material and the heat treatment condition it is difficult to
give any advice.
The important property for a spring leg is the yield strength, as stresses above
this Level will bend the leg permanently.
Assuming that the legs are quenched and tempered to increase the yield strength
(probably SAE4130 as they are made in the US), any extreme heating of the metal
will reduce it again so that the next "not so hard" landing will bend the legs
again.
I remember some years ago that the nose wheel legs of the RANS were regularly
bent
here in Germany, and we did an Analysis on one and changed the material to
something slightly stronger, but not so that the structure would be damaged
instead
of bending on a hard landing.

Sorry I cannot help any more, but I would suggest that a set of new legs is
probably
the way to go.

Best regards

Barry