Europa-List: Re: Brass gauze fuel filter elements?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Brass gauze fuel filter elements?
From: clivesutton <clive.maf@googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 02:09:14

Hi John,

Thanks for your informative post and for filling in some detail on the Rotax
fuel
filtration requirement.

I understand (from Andy) that part of the problem with the Sytec elements is the
warp and weft nature of the filter - that the 22 micron 'holes' can vary in
size and that once a small goat gets between the fibres a contaminant can
actually
enlarge the apeture as well as trap it.

I have actually not had any problems with mine though (being a bit anal in my
approach)
i do visually check for contaminant buildup before most flights, have
the second filter option installed, and have the Rotax fuel pressure gauge and
a separate fuel flow meter fitted in my panel - to enable real-time monitoring
of any flow deterioration.

For those who don't want the gascolator or 35 filter option you mention i'm
going
to plough on a bit further to see what's possible with an improved element,
and at what cost.

Perhaps i should survey and see how many people use the factory Sytec solution.
I think it's most of us - but maybe not . . .?

Clive

--------
Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. Those who understand it,
earn
it, those who don't, pay it.    Albert Einstein

Read this topic online here: