Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa Cabin heater.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa Cabin heater.
From: Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 15:57:54

I use the original CLASSIC exhaust welded-on exhaust muff which I found not very
effective (too small).

A few years ago, I ducted a small Aircraft Spruce exhaust muff clamped to the
exhaust
in series which brought the temps a bit up but still not very effective.
It ,added weight and I had some doubt on long term stability of the clamped
on situation. It came off after one winter. A through-the-firewall hole is out
of question for me as regulations clearly enforce to tightly sealed engine
forward
compartment from the cockpit: the classic exhaust is mated to the cylinders
by means of a ball pressed onto the cylinder which potentially leaks some
fumes when vibrational resonances are encountered, or exhaust stack nuts loosen
or go missing (yes, this can happen!).

Furthermore, the 2-piece separate exhaust pipes are held together with a loosely
fit inside/outside pipe connection held by elastic springs allowing small
amounts
of exhaust gas to escape through 4 connectors. With the cabin being naturally
lower pressure in flight compared with the engine compartment, any exhaust
bypass would be sucked into the cabin.

For these reasons my set up employs a separate hot/cold entry air mixer
receiving
pressurized warm air from the muff (air entry taken ahead of the oil cooler
up front cowling) and a separate pressurized NACA scoop for fresh air. The air
mixer allows full shut off of all entries and these by nature being of higher
pressure blow-by setting would not allow any engine compartment gases to enter
the cockpit. In addition, there are 2 small NACA fresh air verts fitted for
direct fresh air in case of engine fire, exhaust failure, etc. The entire setup
weights about one pound extra.
To stay warm, I have a 1lb weight, removable car seat regulated heat pad
strapped
onto the seat, drawing only 3 amps (preside). My entire panel with GRT EFIS,
EIS and a minimum legal collection of steam gauges draws only 3 amps.
Christoph Both
Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada

On 2018-02-04, 19:02, "owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com on behalf of
Europa48"