Europa-List: Re: Back up engine instruments

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Back up engine instruments
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 07:18:49

Will,

Another idea is a Stratux ADS-B receiver (www.stratux.me).  That will give you
ADS-B in capability when you get to the US.  When fitted with GPS and AHRS, it
will give you an attitude indicator and GPS speed & track on a WiFi display (we
use iPad).  It works also with most EFB.  You can build a Stratux for about
$150.

Skyview Assist apparently only works with Android devices.

Your really need a fuel flow computer to fly your Europa.  Our experience is the
shape of the tank and how little fuel we need to fly for 30 or 45 minutes, makes
it difficult to use fuel gauges for endurance planning.

What backup engine gauges do you really need?  Perhaps just oil pressure
indication
and MAP for your turbo.  We've found the Rotax to be very dependable - the
problems we've had have been with the systems connected to it!  There are
several
documented cases where Rotax engines have continued to run with cooling
temps way beyond redline.  Granted the heads were destroyed, but the engine kept
running.

Just another point of view for you to consider.

Jim & Heather

Read this topic online here: