Re: Europa-List: Back up engine instruments

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Back up engine instruments
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 09:57:02

William, The i Levil 3 looks a great bit of kit, but if I understand
rightly it is providing AH/Nav/GPS/ADSB functions and no engine
monitoring. I would say you are pushing your luck flying without a
tachometer, oil pressure gauge and CHT/coolant temp gauge. CS
controllers are not infallible and if your Airmaster one has no rpm
readout you could break your engine if you hit an unlucky set of
circumstances. Similarly low oil pressure or high coolant temp can spoil
your day big time. All required by LAA for what that is worth - (which
is actually quite a lot, when you consider that UK permit accident rates
are much the same as certified aircraft and compare that with the
Experimental situation.) I would recommend a small modern EMS like the
one produced by MGL. It will display pretty much evrything and
importantly make a fuss if anything departs from the straight and narrow
and weighs not a lot.

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2018-01-25 03:32, William Daniell wrote:

> Following the unbidden rebooting of my SkyView I have ordered a levil.
>
> What is the group think on the minimum back up engine instruments?
>
> My thinking is that the airmaster should keep the Rpm under control so I don't
need Rpm.

> However I do need MAP to avoid overboost given that I have a manual wastegate.
And I figure on an oil temp gauge. And that's it.

> Will
>
> (By the way does anyone know of a map gauge that works with the dynon electric
sensor?)