RE: Europa-List: Re: Dynon rebooted twice in flight

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Dynon rebooted twice in flight
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 22:22:15
Will,
I installed my first Dynon some 10 years ago and stayed away from the Skyvi
ew until they got the bugs out.  Early Skyviews at the air shows were so ho
t you couldn=92t keep your hand on the back of it (over 120 for me) and the
 D180 LED front plate got very hot also.  They were also like the early Blu
e Mountain:  If you push the buttons fast and often, it will hang up just w
hen you need it most.  Software glitches also abound in all these computers
.  Good news is all the manufacturers allow you to download your error file
 and send it to the factory tech reps.  Typically some sort of RMA or patch
 has to be made as one piece of equipment talking to the PFD will cause an
error forcing the PFD to hang up.  Best advise until you get everything sor
ted out:  Fly in VFR and REBOOT!  I still fly with a Blue Mountain Gen 4.
I have backup round dials, mag compass and a handheld.  I=92m the departmen
t of redundant redundancy.  The Gen 4 has never failed, but it is 8 years o
ld now, so its life is limited as with all electronics.

We in the experimental community can install many variations of equipment.
 Certified cannot.  If you have been following news, Dynon is getting certi
fied for a number of aircraft, and equipment do=92s and don=92ts are follow
ing.

Regarding Cooling of Avionics Only:

The D100, D180 and early Skyview have always had cooling issues.  The only
solution here in Florida was a cockpit air fan blown over the instrument wh
ich at the time had no air inlet as on a GRT.  I worked on cooling flow unt
il the inside the panel and internal temperature monitors installed in othe
r equipment showed temps that were well within their limitations and an ext
ra OAT put into the panel or use my remote thermocouple on my VTVM. My cock
pit ventilation was always good so drawing outside air to the panel was not
 necessary.

The new Skyview CPU runs much cooler and has twin fans so here in Florida i
n many LSA aircraft, they are generally free of problems provided the panel
 does not exceed 120 F, and the fan inlets are clear with good heat exit ou
t the top of the panel.  Above 120 F in the panel, they seem to blank out o
r shut down.  GRT has an internal temperature reading and I believe the Sky
view has one also, as well as warning flags.  The problem with the smaller
Dynons (D10,100,180) is the screen goes blank but the unit can still be wor
king, which is kind of dumb.  No warning, they just used to shut down.  Tha
t has been cleared up on the new Skyview...

Normally outside air is not required to be funneled into the panel, but if
your Europa panel is tight, and there are other hot running instruments ins
talled, you may find a cooling fan and the tubes to be a reasonable investm
ent.  You should also look at cooling exit from the panel as any air coming
 in has to get the hot air out.

There are many ways to do this, from simple 25-40 mm cooling fans normally
used in a computer, to regular aircraft fan and tubing systems shown in Air
craft Spruce.  I=92m used to panels where I=92m putting 5 pounds of crap in
 a three pound bag.  As you can see in the example below, there is a three
hole Ameriking fan sucking from the passenger side footwell, with tubes goi
ng to the Garmin 430, one horizontally to the Dynon FD 180, another going t
o an EXP electronic buss under the radios covered in a custom box.  Note th
ere are two fans in the top of the panel to exit the air out of the panel.
 This keeps the panel internal temperature on the bench to exactly the ambi
ent room temp with everything running.

[cid:image003.jpg@01D38E25.609359C0]

Best Regards and keep testing to get all the bugs out,
Bud Yerly

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Window
s 10