Europa-List: Re: Dynon rebooted twice in flight

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Dynon rebooted twice in flight
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 04:19:48

In the UK it is mandated to have backups of both airspeed and altimeter.  For
good
reason.

Recently some members even managed to get approval for backups that are digital
instruments - based on a safety case that they are no less reliable than
conventional
electric/vacuum gauges.  Obviously need battery backups and be wired
on separate circuits.

The Dynon D2 looks ideal as a backup.  I have a Dynon D10A which acts as a full
6-pack augmenting the steam gauges.  Oddly l prefer the steam gauge display as
they take less time to check (on account of the needle positions being stored
as a 'picture' in one's head).  Dr Joyce may be able to expand on this in
medical
terms?

Regarding IFR, individual aircraft are being assessed in the UK for eligibility
for night/IFR use.  I believe that Dynon displays may be considered acceptable
even without TSO (???)

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD