Re: Europa-List: In flight facilities

Subject: Re: Europa-List: In flight facilities
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 22:55:06

Graeme, This doctor uses a bottle, which fits nicely in thegap under the
high support. You really ned two hands for it, so ideally you have an
autopilot to hold the fort whilst you do the business. I have only had
two disturbing incidents over the years:

Quite a lot of years ago I was flying solo out to Prague, and
approaching the Czech border I had noticed that there was nothing but
dense forest all the way to the distant horizon, and tought that would
not be a good place for the engine to go quiet. Possibly the thought was
enough to tense the bladder, so out came the bottle. Having completed
the manoeuvre I looked at the panel and found everything electrical was
dead! The engine being a 914 was relying on electricity to run its two
fuel pimps, which induced a bit of urgrncy in may emergency checks.
Fortunately I started in the right place and found that the toggle
switches for master & alternator were both off, having been snared by my
trouser bottom when I lifted my leg to replace the bottle. At the time I
thought this was a very lucky escape and felt obliged to report the
incident on this forum, only to be told by Andy Draper that if I had
wired things properly it wouldn't stop anyway, as the pump is supplied
by the alternator upstream of alternator switch.

The other incident was slightly more embarrassing! I was on a Dawn to
Dusk Challenge flight down in S France with a long range tank and we
were at the end of a long leg. My mate was flying whilst I made use of
the facilities and in mid flow the engine coughed and stopped. Instantly
and in a slightly tense voice came, "You have control!" Not good timing!
(The engine had stopped because we had run the main tank dry and for the
first time ever, the long range tank had not auto siphoned).

Many of my gliding friends did have funnels connected to a tube, but
they ended up with dried out uric acid crystals under the fuselage
(which would not be good for the mono tail wheel & spring!) but again
even for 7 or 8 hour flights I found a bottle adequate

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2018-01-05 21:40, graeme bird wrote:

> Does anyone nip down the back and use the little boys room in their Europa?
> I was looking to see what the glider pilots do; external catheter, Coloplast
and a bag or bottle. Or maybe just a fabric conditioner bottle and some loose
clothing and Y fronts. Maybe a tube and a somewhere to vent it so as not to
corrode
anything. The low seat and angle wont help and the lack of height to shift
around.
> Should be able to enable (inflate) the auto pilot during the process.
> I expect the Doctor puts in a proper catheter :-)
>
> --------
> Graeme Bird
> G-UMPY - Mono Classic/XS FFW 912S, Woodcomp 3000/3W CS, trutrak Gemini 2 axis
AP, PAW, PFLARM core, ads-b out, 8.33khz, mode S, FP-5, Aera500, SD on Nexus,
SmartA3
> 325 hours & 6 years on the Mono, 930 total
> g@gdbmk.co.uk
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=477109#477109 [1]

Links: