Europa-List: Re: Cooling a Mono Classic

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Cooling a Mono Classic
From: Roland <schmidtroland@web.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 00:06:48

Hi Ruedi,

I've read the thrilling story about vapour lock in the EF. You've certainly
handled
the emergency as well as possible. Most important you went away from the
scene unhurt despite the very dangerous U-turn after the EFATO. Thanks very much
for sharing this experience at this point.

As for the high oil temperature (120C after take off on maximum power), I think
this shouldn't be a general problem (as apposed to vapour lock of course for
obvious reasons), especially in summer. The redline is 130C and I see
oiltemperatures
approaching and sometimes even exceeding 120C in extended climbs on a
regular basis with the 914 Turbo.

Rotax wants the oiltemperature to reach 100C MINIMUM at least once on each
flight
to boil the moisture out. So my understanding is, that oiltemperatures too
low are much more critical and that was also confirmed by Rotax stuff in a chat
on the AERO in Friedrichshafen. A modern semi synthetic oil should be well
capable
to deal with high temperatures - that's what it was also designed for.
Full synthetic oil even more so, which I do not (yet) use for the single reason,
that I sometimes can't avoid 100LL when travelling.

That said in my Europa the CHT's were the critical bit before I finally found a
perfect set up with almost all cooling air forced through the radiator, a water
thermostat and the (7-row) oil cooler partly blanked in winter.

Regards
Roland
PH-ZTI
XS TG 914