Re: Europa-List: Turning propeller backwards

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Turning propeller backwards
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 10:07:46
Jan,

Go to Rotax-Owner.com <http://rotax-owner.com/> and under
support/bulletins you=99ll find Engine Manuals.  Find the
installation, operators and maintenance manuals and download them.  In
there you=99ll find information on how to check your valve train
for entrained air and check for any damage.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com

<jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>

>> What if someone's been turning my propeller/Rotax 912ULS backwards
through several revolutions? I know in that case oil will be "sucked"
out of the hydraulic tappets and damage would/could be caused to the
valve train.

>> Would I hear clattering on engine start and would the noise continue?
Or after initial clattering, would the tappets fill within a few minutes
and the clattering disappear? The trouble is that someone else did the
first start and he didn't report unusual noises.

>> The engine has subsequently run for two hours including four flights.
Should I now undertake investigations for damage and if so, what should
I be doing to put this worry behind me? Rocker covers off and look at
valve spring caps? Check magnetic plug? Prime the oil system again to
purge air out of the tappets?