Re: Europa-List: Flying without the doors

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Flying without the doors
From: David Watts <dg.watts@talktalk.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2017 09:28:34

Richard,

I did this in my mono about 10 years ago for a photo shoot and it was horrible.

My daughter was flying while I took the photos and admittedly it was a nasty
stormy
day, but it was very noisy, very draughty and seemed quite bumpy.

There was one interesting point. On final approach, for some unknown reason, I
put my hand up and held the windscreen surround about half way up. Suddenly it
all went quiet and peaceful in the cockpit. By then we had both had enough and
didn't want to go up again and experiment further. I suppose it explains why
many cars with sunroofs have small deflectors that pop up in the airstream.

Dave Watts
G-BXDY Classic Mono 912S Airmaster 2,400 hours

> On 9 Sep 2017, at 08:59, Richard Lamprey <lamprey.richard@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Has anyone experimented flying a Europa without the doors?  I remember reading
in the Europa factory bulletin years ago that this can be done up to a limit
of 100 knots.  I did actually try this about 15 years ago in my mono, for about
30 minutes, and it seemed to behave OK, but was incredibly windy, with a blast
of air up through the flap slot due to lower pressure in the cabin.  Hairstyle
took a week to recover..
> I am particularly interested to know if anyone has experimented more,
> especially
performance in the turn.  A banked turn would give me a clear view of the
ground for wildlife photography.