Re: Europa-List: Making fibers straight during UNI layup

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Making fibers straight during UNI layup
From: Keith Hickling <keithhickling@clear.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 10:18:26

Hi Chris,
I found the same problem, and what I found worked well was to make a simple
lightweight wooden frame from 15mm x 35 mm wood (about .75 x 1.25 inch) to
fit around the foam with a gap of about an inch all round. I rolled the
glass cloth out on the cutting table nice and straight, laid the frame over
it in the correct orientation, and cut around the edge of the frame with a
pizza cutter, leaving enough cloth around the edge (2 inches) to turn over
the edge of the frame. I then clipped the cloth over the edge of the frame
with bulldog clips every 12 inches or so all the way round. I found I could
then simply lift the frame / glass up, carry it over to the prepared foam
core and lay it down as 1 piece onto the core. Then remove the clips, lift
the frame away and usually there was only minimal straightening or removal
of wrinkles to do. When there are 2 plies to apply in 1 layup, you need 2
frames prepared with glass ahead of the layup.

It takes about 10 mins to make the frames for each layup but I found it was
well worth that. You can reuse the wood for subsequent frames. I can send
you photos if you like.

Good luck!

Regards,
Keith Hickling,