Re: Europa-List: oil sump banjo orientation

Subject: Re: Europa-List: oil sump banjo orientation
From: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 10:38:26
< On my Rotax 912S the outlet of the banjo fitting on the oil sump
points forward. The pipe connected to it goes aft to starboard. The
manual (Fig 7, page 5-5, 912S Installation) shows it pointing about 45
degrees forward and starboard. It looks as though it would be sensible
to re-orient the banjo to point about 45 degrees aft and starboard. Is
this a good or bad idea?

Rowland,

I remember reading in a Europa Tech Talk (or similar) several years ago
to install the banjo such that the oil return hose takes the shortest
route to get away from the muffler.  Unfortunately, a protrusion on the
sump precludes running the hose fully to the rear.  In other words, set
the banjo in order to run the hose the best way you can to avoid heat
sources.

>From my experience with our 914 Mono, may I make the following
suggestions. . . .
  a.. Take your oil return hose and banjo fitting to a hose fitting
company and ask them to crimp the hose to your banjo.  (This will not
only give you a professional job, it will give you more options as to
orientation of the banjo and hose exiting the sump and alleviates the
need to stuff around with the hose clamp.)
  b.. While at the same hose fitting company, ask for two Dowty washers
to use in lieu of the copper washers on the banjo.  (when I asked for
replacement copper washers, I was in return asked why I was using
1930=99s technology?)  I had never heard of Dowty washers so if
you are like me, check out this link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonded_seal
Regarding your other post about water hoses may I make further
suggestions . . . .
  a.. I don=99t know what you are using but I suggest at least for
the two main water hoses using silicon hoses as supplied by Stefan
Ingemarsson. (After blowing on of the hoses as supplied by Europa and
finding there was no reinforcement within the rubber, I was horrified so
will not use them again)
  b.. When fitting the silicon hoses, just a smear of petroleum jelly
around the fitting (and inside the hose) will make the hose slip on much
easier.Using water on them also helps but I find the petroleum jelly
works better.  There is no need for concern that the hoses might slip
off again
Best regards

Kingsley in Oz