Re: Europa-List: Re: fastening duct to firewall/footwell

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: fastening duct to firewall/footwell
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 22:55:37

On 2017-02-24, at 22:16, david park <dpark748@icloud.com> wrote:

> If the installed fixed nut became loose then the fixed nut could be installed
higher up in the footwell conventionally attached to a washer bonded to the
inner
footwell wall out of the way of the rudder pedals.
> A bracket could be attached to the cooling duct to accomodate the new
> position?

Dave - for some reason I did not receive the posting from Jonathan to which you
are replying (yes, I have checked my gmail and local spam folders).

His description reveals that I have not understood the manual correctly.

I thought the anchor nut was to be fitted on the _cockpit_ face of the footwell
inboard side, above the heel support. I see now it is intended to be fitted
lower
down (and thus probably further aft to give a longer moment arm from the
CD4/CD5 brackets) but on the _tunnel_ face of the footwell inboard side (because
there is no access to the cockpit side at that level). This of course explains
why it has to be flush-fitted.

It never occurred to me that it was only held in by the rivets, so could not
take
any real load in tension - and its ability to take shear load depends on a
good fit in the recess, as well as those rivets.

Thanks very much to Jonathan for his good explanation, and to Dave for
responding
to it, or Id never have seen it!

in friendship

Rowland