Europa-List: Re: mono to trigear conversion

Subject: Europa-List: Re: mono to trigear conversion
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 11:40:33

Do it! After more than 15 years with the mono and having seen two friends who
share
my aircraft lose directional control on landing, ground-looping and damaging
the Airmaster prop which twice had to be sent to NZ for inspection and new
blades, I got the conversion to tri-gear done 3 years ago.

The reduction in stress for all in our group was palpable. No more worries about
changes in wind direction when operating from tar runways. Bliss!!!

I have over 1000 hours of my 21.5k hours flying career in Piper Cub, Harvard
(AT6
Texan) and including about 650 hours in my Europa as a mono. If it had been
fitted with conventional t/w undercarriage with differential brakes, I'd never
have decided to convert to tri-gear.

Very soon after the u/c conversion it became apparent that 80hp wasn't enough to
overcome grass safely on a calm or light wind day and heavy. Swapping to the
912S does the trick and I would recommend a set of Nev Eyre's cowls for their
excellent cooling. He also provides a superb engine bearer frame which is
simpler
and stronger than the XS version, which needs both the Rotax ring bearer
and an intermediate frame to connect to the undercarriage frame.

I solemnly promise that you won't regret doing it.

Read this topic online here: