Europa-List: Re: Rotax 912 Exhaust Spring Clip Faliure...

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Rotax 912 Exhaust Spring Clip Faliure...
From: clivesutton <clive.maf@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 02:02:53

If i may chip in with my two-pennarth re: exhaust spring failures, my learning
---From a string of failures over about 200hrs was 1) always use the newer
stainless
new springs 2) insert a suitable piece of silicone rubber tubing down the
spring and hold in place with high-temp RTV - to increase damping/reduce
vibration
3) run wirelock down through this tube to retain the spring if it does break
[as Buds advice] and 4) avoid installing or removing springs by levering the
'hook' on or off using a screwdriver - this action can damage the surface of
the inside of the hook and initiate fatigue cracking.  Much easier to use a
length of wire-locking wire (perhaps 200mm) with a loop formed at both ends (one
over the spring 'hook' and the other on the shaft of a screwdriver) to provide
a means of extending the spring and installing/removing it

Read this topic online here: