Re: Europa-List: mono to trigear conversion

Subject: Re: Europa-List: mono to trigear conversion
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 15:50:31
Graham,

In Texas we have WIND and lots of it.  And it switches around without
any warning.  I have no choice but to land on hard surface as there
aren=99t any turf runways within 90-120 minutes drive.  The mono
on turf is a pussy cat.  On hard surface with any crosswind component
over 20 kts you have no control below 35 kts indicated.  The rudder of
the Europa looses effect below 35 kts. I simply became tired of being
blown off the runway by 25 - 35 knot crosswinds.  Had to return my
airmaster prop hub to New Zealand twice for a rebuild and new blades.
After the second time, I figured it was time to convert to tri-gear.

At least here in Texas, the benefits of not having to worry about
crosswinds far outweighs the benefits of the mono.  I loved my aircraft
as a mono as long as it was in the air and the crosswind component
didn=99t exceed 25 kts.  But in over half my flights I ended up
coming back to some strong crosswind and being blown off the runway
again.  It=99s embarrassing and, when you take out the prop,
bloody expensive!

I took the aircraft to Bud Yerly in Florida for assistance in the
conversion.  It wasn=99t =9Cdifficult=9D for him as he
has done a couple dozen of them.  Took us two weeks at his place to
complete the conversion and repair the outrigger damage to the wings.  I
also took the engine to Lockwood Aviation in Sebring for a prop-strike
exam, which it passed with flying colors thanks to the slipper clutch.
It was another couple months of part-time work at home to finish the
job.  That was brake plumbing, mounting the finger brakes, rebuilding
the console for the electric flaps and closing the hole for the landing
gear lever.  Also have to make a panel to cover the mono-hole in the
belly.

After the rebuild was complete I had to do weight & balance again.  The
aircraft was now heavy enough that a serious weight reduction program
was necessary.  The first thing to go was a very nice panel of Garmin
avionics.  When I weighed it after I removed it the whole thing weighed
50lbs.   The next thing to go was the six-pack of large gyro
instruments.  That was another 20+ lbs out.  Other stuff went as well.
When it was all out, I had removed close to 80 lbs.  It was all replaced
with an EFIS that weighs about 2 1/2 lbs and Microair radio &
transponder at a bit over a pound each.  Now the weight & balance is
back to where it was so I can carry the wife, myself, full fuel and
almost 80 lbs of baggage.

Downside is that the tri-gear is slower and, therefore, doesn=99t
get quite as good gas mileage.  But that pretty minor compared to not
having to worry about what the wind will be doing when you get home.
It=99s still off the ground quickly and climbs at 1000+ ft/min.  I
guess another downside is having to worry about three tires wear and
pressure instead of just one.  Again, pretty minor.

I have a folder of photos I took during the conversion.  I=99d be
happy to post them to DropBox if you=99d like to download them.
Warning, it would be a massive download.  I guess I could also copy them
to DVD and post them to you if you wish.

There is a fairly complete annotated sub-set of those photos available
at EuropaOwners.org <http://europaowners.org/>.  Go to my album (N914XL)
and you should see the sub-album for the Tri-Gear Conversion.

If you have any further questions don=99t hesitate to ask.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com