Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914-UL

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914-UL
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 13:21:19

Phil, The turbo wastegate is a definite minus point although versions
more modern than mine now have a lubrication point in the shaft which
should limit the tendency to get stuck. Otherwise it clearly has the
extra power for getting out of tight spots, but the best aspect of it is
that it offers 100% power up to 17,000ft and stays just as efficient as
you climb whilst normally aspirated engines run out of puff. I can do
150kts TAS (130kts IAS) at 10k burning around 21l/hr, which I suspect is
beyond 912/S capabilities. It will use Mogas, UL91 or Avgas, but I try
to avoid the latter as every 91X engine should.

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2015-08-10 11:53, flyingphil2 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is not a Europa related question as such but there are a fair few Europa
owners with a Rotax 914-UL.

> Does anyone with a 914 have anything really good or bad to say about the
> engine?
Are the running / maintenance costs greatly different to a 912-ULS? Does it
use mogas or avgas just as well? Are there any horror stories related to it
or is it just as good as the 912 but with an extra boost when you need it?

> Thanks,
>
> Phil
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=445760#445760 [1]