Europa-List: Re: Vulcan Intercept

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Vulcan Intercept
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 14:02:58

Picture should be OK now.  The first attempt to upload corrupted the picture of
the Vulcan.  It is a bit fuzzy.  Canon 400D, Tamron 18-250mm Di2 at F7.1 1/400
ISO400 at full zoom.

The timings were 1408 Duxford and 1426 Southend.  We departed Andrewsfield at
1400.
There was Wx (~800ft cloudbase, drizzle) towards Southend.  We flew to the
east of the published track and then on the reciprocal towards Haverhill.
Duxford 122.075 were talking to XH558.  Due to proximity of Stansted TMZ we were
also monitoring Essex Radar and squawking 0013.

Interception achieved (we maintained horizontal separation) my safety pilot
observer
took the controls for the cross-over whilst l shot the film.  We then did
a tight 180 to avoid the wake and followed on track breaking off for a normal
approach into Andrewsfield.

Southend reported XH558 approaching at 700 ft for the flyby.  It looked marginal
---From where we were as the Wx was just clearing.  Hopefully everyone on the
ground
got a good view.

This was a once in a lifetime opportunity, seeing as the Vulcan may not fly
again.

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD