Re: Europa-List: Europa fuel system - is it suitable for MOGAS with etha

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa fuel system - is it suitable for MOGAS with ethanol?
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:05:08
Hal=2C
Thanks for your comments.  I've sent 3 invoices=2C two in Oct. And another
two weeks ago.  Please check your junk mail.  I'll send the cap on payment.

Best Regards=2C
Bud

Hal Carpenter <wtcef@arn.net> wrote:

Hi Bud=2C
Thanks for all this good information.  We have used Ethanol free mogas
almost exclusively...locally....trips are a different story as most
airports don't keep mogas let alone e free gas.  So=2C we carry lead bindin
solution.
Anyway=2C what about the fuel caps?  Have they been shipped out yet?
Hal Carpenter-Amarillo=2C TX

On Thu=2C Nov 27=2C 2014 at 8:11 PM=2C Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com> wrote:

> [...]
> wet climates will absorb water=2C to saturation and will lower the ethano
> content and octane.  I have never had a problem with detonation or pingin
> at high power after the aircraft has set in the hanger up to 30 days.
> Plugs look good over 50 hours of engine operation at cruise operation and
> local flying. (Sorry=2C but I change plugs every annual and typically ave
rage
> only 50 to 100 hours per year=2C and since plugs are cheap=2C I don't cle
an
> them.)
>
> Flying with fresh ethanol MOGAS has not been a problem.  Up to 10K we hav
> had no problems with vaporization=2C detonation or misfires over various
> power settings ranging from max power down to 65% power.  Some reliable
> sources have commented that after landing on a cross country fuel stop=2C
> fuel vaporization has prevented  engine start.  I have not had the proble
> as we properly shield and run our fuel lines clear of heat sources and
> always use fresh fuel.  We do Young Eagle orientation flights and have
> found on hot summer days=2C engine restarts between two and three flights
> have been problem free.
>
> Bottom line is=2C don't leave ethanol laced fuel in the system over a mon
th
> (my opinion) and if the plane is to be stored for any length of time (ove
> 30 days)=2C use a fuel stabilizer and run it through the engine to assure
 the
> fuel additive fills the float bowls.  Even if the aircraft was properly
> decommissioned at the end of the flying season=2C pull the carb float bow
ls=2C
> clean them=2C re-commission the engine and prep for startup.    Drain the
> MOGAS and refill with fresh fuel.
>
> OR=2C drain or burn off the ethanol MOGAS and fill completely with 100LL
> AVGAS.  It is fairly easy to just use AVGAS in your last couple of tanks
of
> the year then ad a fuel stabilizer if you like=2C and put the covers on t
he
> plane until flying again.  Some aviation fuel suppliers say that 100LL do
es
> lose some of its lead and should not be used if stagnant in the tanks for
> year=2C but Shell Aviation experts says properly stored and free of water
=2C
> AVGAS lasts for years with no degradation.
>
> I do not use ethanol fuel in my 914 any longer as our local MOGAS fuel
> suppliers can only supply 92 octane=2C and can't guarantee it being that
high
> after only a short period of time.  I do not leave even AVGAS in my tank
> for over six months  without pumping out a large amount to assure the
> bottom of the tank=2C filters and float bowls are clean=2C and the fuel h
as the
> right color=2C odor and cleanliness.  I change oil every 25 hours with AV
GAS