Re: Europa-List: Carbon Fibre

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Carbon Fibre
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:43:11
Absolutely right Nigel, and better than I could have put it.=0AGraham=0A=0A
=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0A From: "nigel_graham@m-tecque.c
o.uk" <nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent
: Monday, 10 November 2014, 18:31=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Carbon Fibre
=0ARichard, I have built polyester canoes and have played around with carbo
n fibre - so have experience of both systems. It's not clear from your mail
 whether your boat is constructed out of carbon and you need to repair it,
or if you just fancy repairing a glass fibre boat using carbon.=0AThe actua
l techniques are broadly the same but I would always recommend repairing li
ke with like. If your boat is made out of chopped strand mat (CSM) and poly
ester resign, then use the same to repair it.=0AThere is a lot of miss-unde
rstanding concerning carbon and if used in the wrong place, can actually re
sult in a weaker repair. Because carbon is so stiff, it can take all of the
 load in a structure, meaning the weaker material (glass) takes less; the t
hen overloaded carbon simply fractures. Imagine bonding a piece of glass to
 a hose pipe - then flexing it.=0A=0ANigel=0A=0AQuoting Richard Iddon <ridd
on@sent.com>=0A> =0A> Not quite a Europa question but I note that several c
ontributors have made parts for the Europa with carbon Fibre.- I need to
make a repair to a part for a boat out of carbon fibre (sorry, not the plan
e). Is it the same as working with epoxy / glassfibre? Can I use the same r
esin or are there special considerations for working with carbon?=0A> =0A>
===