RE: Europa-List: Keeping temperatures on the ground in the "black"?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Keeping temperatures on the ground in the "black"?
From: Rob Housman <rob@hyperionef.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:06:42
I don't care what these clowns "proved" in that video, it is not
supported
by the science of heat transfer - at the rather low temperatures
encountered
in an air to air intercooler the dominant modes of heat transfer are
convection and conduction, neither of which is affected in the least by
the
color of the heat exchanger. At much higher temperatures, say 400=B0C
and
hotter, then radiation starts to contribute a bit more to heat transfer
compared to convection or conduction. Google =93Stefan-Boltzmann=94 to
learn a
bit about radiative heat transfer.

Painting the surfaces of the heat exchanged will actually impede heat
transfer because the paint is less conductive than the aluminum or
copper
usually used for this sort of heat exchanger. The thickness of the paint
will also slightly reduce the area left for air flow thus further
degrading
the efficiency of the heat exchanger.

=93Paint it Black=94 worked pretty well for the Stones but it won=92t
for
intercoolers.

Best regards,

Rob Housman