Re: Europa-List: Re: DOOR detached during flight

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: DOOR detached during flight
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 07:40:37
Robert Borger  wrote:

> Agreed.  You could use cast iron hinges and they=92d just tear up the
fiberglass when the door departed.  One must absolutely, positively,
make sure both bolt shoots are in place.  I have a strap attached to the
inside lower rear corner of my doors that allows me to pull that corner
in when I latch the door.  I had microswitches for a while but they
tended to get out of adjustment and wear causing false warnings.  The
strap is much better at confirming the rear shoots are in place and the
door properly latched.

        That sounds like a good idea Bob=85

In my case, I added a tab of 1/8=94 Lastafoam w/ 2 layers BID, located
per attached photo, on both doors. On the passenger side, I can reach
the tab w/ my right arm extended behind the passenger=92s head; I did
not want to rely upon my passenger to ensure that the rear shoot bolt
was engaged.  On the pilot=92s side, I cross my right arm over my chest
to reach the tab. In both instances, I can both push out and pull
inward, while engaging the latch as well as during final check list.

I was particularly concerned before installation of the door glazing
because the lower rear corner of the door remained a tad proud prior to
engaging the shoot bolts; I was a bit relieved when that disappeared
after the weight of the glazing was added to the door.

Nonetheless, I=92m installing microswitches for the rear bolts and will
look for two green LEDs on the panel before TO=85it=92s a simple enough
installation, thanks to Raimo Toivio, and I have no reason to doubt that
it will be trouble-free=85time will tell.

Regarding the hinges, I believe they were intentionally designed as the
weak link in order to prevent damage to the FG of the airframe in the
event of loss of door.

Fred