Europa-List: Pip pin logic

Subject: Europa-List: Pip pin logic
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 23:57:24

I am hoping someone can help me understand the logic behind the spar
pip pin. According to a posting by Neville Eyre some time back, the
pin is important for preventing the spar tang from migrating aft and
jamming the aileron crank. This makes sense, especially given how
close the spar is to the cranks. However, in my limited experience, I
have only seen pins used for shear stresses, not longitudinal stress.
The latter would mean the ball at the end the pin has to be load
bearing. This seems a bit odd to me, but I am sure there must be a
logic behind this setup. I am hoping someone can shed some light on
this for me.