Europa-List: Re: MOD 78

Subject: Europa-List: Re: MOD 78
From: djaflyact <djaflyact@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 13:51:23

Thanks Nev. I have ground one spar tang today. Had to quit due to roasting in
the
sun and just the mess of it. I'm wondering if anyone has done this mod on a
flying airplane. The reason I ask is that the speed brake control tufnol block
is right there where the fiberglass is layed up against the root rib. To grind
those payers off the root rib, I would ahve to remove the controls for the
speed brakes and also the ailerons. What I was hoping to do is leave the
fiberglass
on the spar out about 2 to 3 inches and then add the new layers as called
for in the build manual, but only run them up the root rib where possible.
Otherwise,
the new plies would essentially splice onto the existing pile on the
root rib. Where I can run them up the root rib, it would be thicker than called
for in the manual. There is also the issue of the glass that is holding on
the wing root fairing, which is why I'm asking about not taking off the layers
that are now on the root rib.

I'm still getting lost in the terminology - roves - tows, etc. Is there a source
on the internet that defines what these terms mean?

I'm attaching a photo of it now, with the intensifier board on top for scale.

Oh - How far does the carbon fibre cloth go toward the rot rib? ALl the way to
the 90 degree corner?

Off to shower off the dust - you are right - it goes everywhere. I am wearing a
space suit and I still get it on me.

Dave

PS On one spar, There was a spot of somthing that looks almost like sap in a
spot
when I was grinding the shear web layers - toward the wing root.  Like a pocket
of sap or a pocket of something that was not cured. This is about a 12 year
old spar.

Read this topic online here:

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/grinding_done_196.jpg