Re: Europa-List: europa-List: Re: Factory upholstery kit

Subject: Re: Europa-List: europa-List: Re: Factory upholstery kit
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 21:13:27

On Sep 16, 2013, at 7:41 PM, Jeremy Fisher wrote:

> I had used Temperfoam with all 3 grades of hardness for the seat
cushions, and I had repositioned the upper seatbelt attachment points to
the upper fuselage just behind the canopy.  The original seatbelt point
is below the pilot's shoulder level and well back, so that there is
always some slack left, and it will increase the likelihood of spinal
injury.

Jeremy...as you're no doubt aware, the standard shoulder belt on the
Europa is at or below shoulder height and is apt to contribute to spinal
compression in a hard landing. I've raised mine w/ a hinged riser as
shown in the attached photos...I've stress-tested them to 15 Gs w/ no
collapse or deformation...the hinge allows for the normal "sitting on
the raised seat back" method for entering and exiting a XS mono...no
change in shoulder belt attach point.

The last photo shows my layers of blue and green Temperfoam, augmented
w/ regular upholstery foam wedges...note the ends of the lumbar support
visable at the seat back...backs are propped in place w/ blocks of pink
styrofoam.

Fred