Re: Europa-List: Re: Microair 760, receiving problems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Microair 760, receiving problems
From: Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 12:05:02

Hi Roland:
I sent my transponder from Canada to Australia last year for an upgrade.
It is very important that you have the shipment accompanied with a special
form they can email to you claiming that you are the owner and merely
shipping it to them for repair as confusion can arise from customs on both
sides if this is merchandise potentially sold, and therefore triggering
import taxes. Microair has the form, just ask for it. Also, unless you
need fast turn around, avoid shipping using a courier service like  FedEx
or Purolator as they might charge significant "handling fees" on both
sides for border crossing paperwork. While fast and very professional,
they are also very expensive, especially to Australia. I specifically
asked Microair to return to me via air mail by Postal service. It came to
app. $40 each way, and postal service in Canada handled all paperwork
without charge, just the VAT, sales tax was added to the repair cost,
which Microair will declare in the paperwork, and you must pay for.
However, I have received postal service in the past and customs did not
even bother to collect. With FedEx & Co you will always pay. Yes, turn
around took about 4 weeks, but saved a lot of money. It is also a good
idea to request an estimate from Microair before shipping, and another one
---From them once the shipment has been received. We had discussions about an
initially too high estimate and they became more reasonable after
discussion.
I have both the old 760COM and TFSL transponder, the latter being part of
my panel, the 760 exchanged for a new MGL V-6 Com which has a lot of
features the old 760 can not provide. Did you have a look at the new DYNON
radio? One could have two radios side by side taking the place of one 2.25
radio stack space...
Christoph Both
#223 readying for final inspection
Wolfville, Canada