Re: Europa-List: You'll cry.......

Subject: Re: Europa-List: You'll cry.......
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 18:35:57
Ferg,

Like Andrew, I can't see the pictures so there's a bit of a problem
visualizing your predicament.

When I put my wings on the first time at the airport, the wing bushings
refused to align themselves with bushings in the cockpit module.  This
is in spit of the fact I had the wings on and off several times during
the build and the seemed to fit quite well.  I'm not sure exactly why,
but they were off by just enough that the big pip pin and the solid pin
refused to enter.  I was able to estimate that the wing bushings were
short of alignment by something between 1/16 & 1/32 inch.  I fashioned
up a set of pins to assist in the alignment.  The pins were fabricated
---From 1/2 inch round bar stock.  Here is a picture of the two pins along
with the solid pin supplied by Europa:

The taper on the insertion end ensured that the pin entered the bushings
and coaxed them into alignment.  Once both pins were in, one could be
removed and replaced with either a pip pin or the solid pin.  With one
proper pin in place, the other taper pin could be removed and replaced
with a proper pin.

Like Andrew, I also use two pip pins rather than the big solid pin.

The scale and squares in the picture are 1" so you can determine the
various dimensions of the pins.

As for removal of the stuck pintle, I'm at a loss until I can see just
how it's configured and how it's stuck.  I'd avoid cutting anything for
access until you had an opportunity to correspond with Bud.  He's the
real Guru and if anyone can come up with a solution, he should be able.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com