Europa-List: Flap Bracket Repaint advice?

Subject: Europa-List: Flap Bracket Repaint advice?
From: JonSmith <jonsmitheuropa@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 23:09:08

Hi all.  After several years the paint on my flap hinge brackets is starting to
flake off in places with signs of light corrosion on the aluminium.

I intend to do a proper job and refurb them all.  My thoughts are to clean them
all back to the bare aluminium and treat with Alodine/ Alocrom having first
prepared
them with the special Alodine deoxidising treatment.  Then repaint them
using aerosol spray can paint as I do not have proper spray facilities or
ability.

Questions for the experts and those who have gone before...!  In general does
this
sound a good course of action?  Specifically, having applied the Alodine do
I need some sort of undercoat/ primer paint next or can my choice of white
glossy
topcoat aerosol paint go straight onto the alodine?  Also any tips for the
best way to sand off the old paint & corrosion to reach bare metal?

Any advice much appreciated, cheers!

--------
G-TERN
Classic Mono