Europa-List: Re: Damping Grease

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Damping Grease
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 15:37:51

Hi Bud,

Neville Eyre recently did the really difficult work on my old monowheel G-EIKY
and converted it to a trigear. I then towed it away to do the long list of tasks
necessary before it can be inspected and signed off.

Today I proceeded to remove the nosewheel fork spindle and made sure that the
spindle,
bushes and friction plate were clean and dry before applying the Nye damping
grease to all relevant surfaces, including both sides of the friction disk.
The Nye grease is also lubricating the bushes.

Quote from your post above "Note there are two frictions. The first is the
torque
to break the friction, then there is the rotational torque." Well, if the
damping
grease gets applied to one side or both sides of the disk, then there is
no longer a friction break-out torque.

Having tightened the assembly a lot and with the wheel off the ground, all I can
discern is a constant 18 to 20 pounds resistance when pulling the nosewheel
---From side to side. There is no break-out. This being my first experience of
setting
up a Europa nosewheel, I would appreciate comments and advice from you or
anyone else.

Comparing my Europa nosewheel with other aircraft of different types also having
castoring nosewheels, mine seems excessively heavy to turn from side to side.
Yes, I did tie a cable to the wheel axle and wrap it 90 degrees around the rear
of the tyre before pulling with a spring scale.

Read this topic online here: