RE: Europa-List: Stiff ailerons

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Stiff ailerons
From: Peter Jeffers <pjeffers@talktalk.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 13:18:12
Hi Frank,

Whether or not the tufnel bushes CS04 and 06 are swollen and may be
associated with stiff ailerons is hard to tell from your description.  As a
long time Europa inspector all I can say is that I have never come across
swollen Tufnell bushes.  You will probably need to disconnect your aileron
system in different places to try to isolate where the problem is coming
from.  Could be stiff bearings in the linkage that have not been lubricated.
Could be  the cross connecting rod running parallel to the front of the fuel
tank actually fouling the tank.  I have seen this before, due to tank
distortion.  If this latter is the case then I may be able to suggest a fix.

There is no Tufnel in the tailplane area.  If your tailplanes realy won't
come off it is probably due corrosion caused by poor greasing on last
assembly.  The moisture gets in down the sides of the  tail plane retaining
pip pin and corrosion develops, effectively welding the components together.
If you wish to give me a call on 01494 881431 (UK) we can discuss your
problems.

Pete Jeffers   LAA Inspector

  _____