RE: Europa-List: Re: Northolt connections

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Northolt connections
From: Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:22:40

Thanks for a sensible explanation.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
[mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] On Behalf Of JonSmith
Sent: 19 February 2013 08:40
Subject: Europa-List: Re: Northolt connections

Hi!  I know nothing about Northolt, but it does indeed say in Pooleys that
it's not available to civilian single engine aircraft so I guess that
(unless you know someone to slip a few quid to!) then sadly that's a show
stopper in this case.

But as a principle, being in the Heathrow class A CTR would not be a problem
itself.  VFR flight is not permitted in any class A airspace but SPECIAL VFR
clearance can be requested for entry into any CTR irrespective of the class
of the CTR.  This special VFR procedure is an "authorisation by ATC for a
pilot to fly within a CTR even though he is unable to comply with IFR
requirements" and can be used to fly to an airfield within, or transit a
CTR.  Note this applies specifically to CTR's (Control ZONES) and NOT CTA's
(anything else such as TMA's, CTA's, airways etc).

I have several times when flying N or S past London obtained a SVFR
clearance to route through the Heathrow CTR; Burnham - Ascot seems to work
well.  Clearance is often not above 1000'.  You don't need to file a flight
plan but you MUST obtain clearance from Heathrow radar.  It's usually empty
and seems much safer than the corridor of hell around the outside of the CTR
at 2400'!

Nb. Some small airfields within the London class A CTR (eg. Fairoaks, White
Waltham etc) have specific special agreements for "Local Flying Areas"
within the CTR.  Flight within these areas are still technically considered
SVFR flights but clearance from Heathrow is not required (and indeed is not
obtainable).

In the case of, for example, flying to Vallance near Gatwick, SVFR is not
needed because Gatwick CTR is class D airspace so we can obtain a VFR
clearance to enter there.  It's only to enter class A CTR's that SVFR
clearance is relevant and required - another example being to enter the
channel islands class A CTR.

--------
G-TERN
Classic Mono