Re: Europa-List: Filling/Painting Classic wings & Tail. SUPERFIL? SP106?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Filling/Painting Classic wings & Tail. SUPERFIL? SP106?
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 01:06:44
Dave=0AI use a 1/6 by volume addition of Cabosil (colloidal silica) mixed w
ith the expancell. It enables about 50% more expancell to be added to the s
ame amount of resin.=0AIt is best to be consistent as possible with the amo
unt of resin and expancell you mix to avoid variations in the filler=0ASupe
rfil is an easier solution but expensive. For rough sanding I use a very sh
arp small wood plane, (Russ Lefevre gave me that tip) it cuts through the i
ncompletely-=0Acured resin: the heat of sanding softens the resin unless
it is fully cured, (which takes days,) and that clogs the paper.=0AGraham
=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0A From: G-ODTW <dave@robotas.co.
uk>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Friday, 28 December 2012, 20:4
0=0ASubject: Europa-List: Filling/Painting Classic wings & Tail. SUPERFIL?
k>=0A=0AI thought it a good idea to get my tailplanes balanced before I put
 my top on. They needed filling (I used Ampreg21/Expancel as per Europa man
ual) & then will need painting. But I am now finding it a heck of a job to
sand the filler. After 2 days of it, I have had enough. The sandpaper const
antly clogs, and it is bl**** hard work - And my Classic wings are much big
ger than the tail!=0ASome people seem instead to use Superfil. But I am als
o told that SP106 is the resin many people use for the surface filling job,
 which sands without problems, presumably with the supplied Expancel.=0A=0A
Many folk have trodden this path before me, using many methods. 20 years on
, is there now a "best practice" for filling / sanding / painting?=0A=0AAll
 advice greatfully received. Thanks. Dave Walters.=0A=0A--------=0ADavid Wa
lters=0A=0A=0A=0A=0ARead this topic online here:=0A=0Ahttp://forums.matroni
- - - - - - - - - - - - -Matt Dralle, List Admin.