Re: Europa-List: Door Lugs - serious problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Door Lugs - serious problem
From: Jeff B <topglock@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 16:10:58

As you were told, there should have been a thick piece of aluminum
inside that lug.  That's the way mine is made and I've never had a
problem...

Jeff - Baby Blue

On 12/17/2012 3:51 PM, jglazener wrote:

> I have nearly finished fitting my doors. Last weekend I put in the ball
> fittings
for the gas struts. I put on the struts, and with a felt pen in hand to cross
off yet another historic chapter I gently closed the door. Crack!!- the lug
had not just broken off but practically disintegrated.

> See  http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=105733
>
> Shocked but assuming this was a one off I moved to the other door. Mindfully
I treated this very carefully, but even with light hand pressure the lug also
came off forthwith.

> I understand from another builder that there should be an aluminium plate
> inside
the lug, but there certainly are none in mine, at least not in the position
of the hole.