Europa-List: Mountain wave flying

Subject: Europa-List: Mountain wave flying
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 06:49:58

Hi all,
I had an interesting flight today and cannot resist the pleasure to share the
attached
pictures with you. I climbed to 11000 ft over the Gap area, french south
Alps, to catch a mountain wave, then reduced power to idle and flew almost
for free for 10 minutes gaining about 1000 ft . Facing into the wind with 55 kts
IAS, my ground speed was 19 kts. Then I turned downwind with full throttle
and 5000 RPM and got 194 kts on the GPS. I was impressed by the distance I
covered
in a few minutes at that speed !
Remi
F-PGKL XS Monowheel , 912ULS