Europa-List: Re: Fuel Return Line

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Fuel Return Line
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 12:45:12

While trying to understand our recent 914 power problems, we talked to Rob
Seaton
at Rotech.

He suggested we measure how much pressure is required to return the fuel to the
tank (from regulator). Remove return hose from top of regulator, plug one side
of banjo fitting and blow into other (dont ingest fuel!). it should be very
easy (max is 1.5 PSI pressure loss with both pumps on: 914 installation manual
sec 14.3)

We found with the fuel tank full the pressure required was more than we could
easily
blow.  With the tank half empty not much pressure was required.  Our system
is per Europa with the return at the bottom of the tank.  Calculations show
the pressure of the column of fuel in a full tank (15 inches of fuel) is about
.4 psi which is certainly less than 1.5 psi.

The Europa setup has worked OK for over 400 hours, but perhaps it would be
better
to return the fuel to the top of the tank.  Opinions?

Jim & Heather
N241BW

Read this topic online here: