Re: Europa-List: Re: Working cabin heater

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Working cabin heater
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:06:30
       Photo E-mail   View slideshow
<https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=2161856909618aa7&page=play&;
resid=2161856909618AA7!282&type=5&authkey=!AGSy0jMk4aIkbhI>|
Download images
<https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=2161856909618aa7&page=downl
oadphotos&resid=2161856909618AA7!282&type=5&authkey=!AGSy0jMk4aIkbh

Jacques,
I have been building a similar cabin heater for about 6 years.
It is fine until about -10 C.  The duct has to be quite well sealed and
since most of the heat comes from the oil cooler, if a thermostat is
installed one cannot expect it to heat as much.  In my experience my oil
temps in winter run about 160F or 70C.  The air out of the back side of
the cooler is normally just under 100F or about 35C.  N12AY is pretty
tight and my air vents seal pretty well so little air rushes into the
cockpit through the inspection holes and center tunnel as I have it all
well sealed.  Just the sun shine keeps me in winter clothes fairly
comfortable.  If I close off the oil cooler with a plate over it, that
cuts the air flow too much.

Unfortunately, I am in Florida, so it rarely gets super cold here.  The
the mono tends to be drafty through the tunnel and is asking too much
---From my little heater (basically the same as the Europa Club mod).

<https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=2161856909618aa7&page=play&;
resid=2161856909618AA7!283&parid=2161856909618AA7!282&type=1&authke
y=!AGSy0jMk4aIkbhI>

My only suggestion for a constant high temp source is to pull the
coolant from the engine using a similar hookup to the carb heat mod, and
use a small oil cooler (or a simple 3/16 inch copper tube coil and fan
in the cockpit to bring up the temp for bitter temps.)  Where to put it
becomes a real problem.

I have not been a fan of pulling heat from a muff from the muffler or
exhaust system as it is a Carbon Monoxide  problem so I will not
comment.

Sorry I can't help any more.

Regards,
Bud