Europa-List: Fwd: Europa cooling

Subject: Europa-List: Fwd: Europa cooling
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 18:27:35
Hi everyone,

I got numerous requests for pictures, so I assume this is of "general
interest".

I still plan to write an article about this, but so far I didn't find
the time.

So, for all of you who are through waiting, here some low quality
pictures to get some idea of what I have done.

I'm reluctant to show these pictures, these pictures were taken when the
work was still in progress, to discuss these things in a private group.
Since then the cowling has been cleaned up, received a new finish and
paint. For the final pictures I will also choose a more appealing
background and clean up the tools. ;-)

On some of the pictures you still see two small holes where the original
cowling vents once were. These holes proved to be unnecessary and have
been eliminated in the final version.

The two ram air inlets and radiator inlet are the only air entries in
the cowling. The air exiting the radiator also takes the heat of the
exhaust, turbo and silencer with it. No further cowling cooling was
necessary.

The two lower ram air inlets:
The starboard inlet is for the engine air and via a butterfly valve to
the intercooler.
The port inlet is for cylinder cooling air.

A few pictures show the cowl flap wide open. Due to the length of the
cowl flap the angle is still moderate and it looks like it is only a
little bit open.

Also some pictures with the exhaust augmenter.

And of course the interior of the cowling, to see how I have set up the
intercooler and cylinder cooling.

Frans