Re: Europa-List: New to List

Subject: Re: Europa-List: New to List
From: Dean Seitz <daseitz@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 18:02:56

---- Jeremy Fisher <jffisher@gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently took over a Europa XS project that has most of the structure now
> complete.
I am based at an Airpark on Cape Cod in the US, and previously built
a Lancair 360.

> After going through the aircraft and all of the books, I have a couple of
> questions,
and would be grateful for any inputs or advice.  In particular:

> 1.  I just bought a refurbished Rotax 914.  Is it worth the hassle to fit an
intercooler?  The advice from the outfit that refurbished it is not to bother,
as the engine will adjust for any issues with the temperature of the inlet air.

I have a 914 without the intercooler. I have no problems down in Florida.
Although
i do not try to do a lot of high performance climbs for extended periods.
I have had it to 14000ft and no problems climbing at 350 to 400FPM at 75% power.

> 5.  For those of you who are not cursed with the LAA, has anyone installed an
autopilot pitch servo connected to the system without changing the lateral pitch
tube as per the factory installation?  It would be both expensive and fairly
difficult for me to change it at this build stage.  I am considering a couple
of alternatives and would like to learn from anyone else's experience.

I installed a Dynon autopilot 2 axis.  Did not go by any existing design. I put
the pitch servo in the tail right behind the plywood guides for the ballance
weight. Built a mount and glassed to the bottom of fuse. Made two alum plates
to extend the pitch arms that the ballance arm and the pitch tube attach to by
about two inches. Attached a cotrol tube from the extension to the servo. Works
very well and very tight. I needed weight in the tail for ballance anyway.
The aileron servo I actually put in the recess that the right wing spar goes in
just under the spar and used a short tube to where the rod end connects to the
arm that comes up from the passenger tube. used a longer bolt and put both
rod ends together. A little tight to get it in but only had to make one bracket
to hold the servo.

> 6.  My wife and i are both pretty skinny (she is slender, i am skinny!).  Do
you find that widening the cockpit at the shoulders as per the Mod List is worth
it, or do you not have any problem with the standard cockpit in practice?

I have the new style body with the wide mod from the factory. I have never been
in an old style. The only difference i would think is that there would not be
as big of a ledge sticking out to hurt your shoulder or upper arm

Dean Seitz