Europa-List: Re: Vertical trim friction device

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Vertical trim friction device
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 23:47:38

Hi Frans,
I believe the main purpose of this friction device is to prevent all the
aerodynamic
loads on the tabs to be supported by the little plastic linkage and gears
of the RC Allen servo. It also prevents a catastrophic failure to occur in case
of breakage of this linkage between the servo and the friction device. So
obviously it is a very important safety feature.
On my aircraft I once observed an important slack in the friction system which
was due to the M5x60 bolt and M5 check nut on the bellcrank TS03 becoming loose.
This was easily fixed with Loctite. I also found that adjusting the spring
preload to the minimum and greasing the friction surfaces was better.
Regards
Remi Guerner

Read this topic online here: