Europa-List: Leaking around fuel tank sender unit

Subject: Europa-List: Leaking around fuel tank sender unit
From: William Bliss <william@wbliss.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 19:50:59

Hello all - advice and experience please
I discovered that fuel is leaking from the gauge sender unit which is
mounted inside the pilot headrest - an obvious cause of the fuel smell.
I was calibrating the fuel gauge.
I would like advice on how to reliably seal it.
Now all removed (WEMA unit). It was fixed with 5 partially threaded
bolts through holes drilled in the GRP tank. The bolts clamp rubbery
sealing rings on either side of the tank. The sender unit screws into an
aluminium ring outside the tank and is sealed by with an "O" ring. There
is a split aluminium ring inside the tank with captive nuts attached
(the bolts did not feel as if much thread was actually engaged). Brown
sealant had been applied over the whole lot. There is fuel staining on
the tank facing surface of the inner rubber ring.
The tank material itself feels quite slippery - difficult to sand a good
key for sealant bonding. Especially difficult on the inside due to
restricted access.  There are some raised blebs and grooves to contend with.
The only good things to report are that I have ordered more sealant from
LAS, the rubbery seals look ok and I havn't dropped anything large into
the bottom of the tank yet.
William G-WUFF