Re: Europa-List: Re: XS Exhaust System Cracks

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: XS Exhaust System Cracks
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 23:13:58

On 08/27/2012 09:52 PM, Bud Yerly wrote:

> We broke #1 spring and safety
> wire from the vibration.  #1 has an adjustable leg of course and did not
> crack the pipe.  But I am concerned.  Something is vibrating at a
> harmonic down there.
>
> I'm running out of ideas myself.

Try to support the #1, somewhere near the middle. I literally mean
"near", make sure you don't accidentially hit the middle.  At least try
to avoid the 1/2 and 1/3 point. This will likely dampen out the close
harmonics.

This would be the most easy solution. Otherwise you have to change the
lenght of the pipe, or to chase the vibration which is likely a
byproduct of the engine/prop combination.

Frans