Re: Europa-List: Landing mishap - asking for advise

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Landing mishap - asking for advise
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 12:11:05

Hi Marcel,

> Before asking my questions, I would like to express my BIG THANKS to
> Frans and Illona who drove their trailer up to Texel  and drove
> PH-MZW back by road and ferry boat to my home base.

It is all in the spirit of the Europa community. Maybe some day I will
find myself in a situation where I need help, and some fellow Europa
flyer will help me out...

> (1) How much structural strength does the pierced part of the tunnel
> take, and what procedure do you recommend for the repair?

This is hard to tell from just a picture. It is ok to have a hole in the
tunnel, as many of us have made for whatever purpose, but of course the
location of the hole is critical. And a hole caused by slamming an
object through it often has damage stretching far beyond the hole
(invisible cracks, stretching of the material, etc). It is best to have
someone experienced in this to take a look at it, and determine whether
this will be a structural or cosmetic repair.

> (2) I am planning to have a complete new nose gear leg assembly
> installed. Unknown at this moment is how to check the integrity of
> the landing gear frame. All suggestions are welcome!

The landing gear frame is similar to the engine mount frame. I would
start by checking the geometry of the propeller flange as described in
the Europa manual. If this is still ok then it is unlikely something has
bent.

> Please be aware that changing propeller-type will force me having to
> go through a lengthy and costly procedure to obtain a new noise
> certificate from the Dutch CAA.

ONLY if you are the first one in Europe to have that specific aircraft
type / engine / prop combination. If someone (for example in the UK) has
already a noise certificate for that combination you can just copy the
noise certificate.

Frans