Re: Europa-List: outrigger legs

Subject: Re: Europa-List: outrigger legs
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 22:54:53
Remi=0AI remember there was some testing of various grades of nylon, they a
re not all the same.=0AWas it nylon 6-6 that was chosen? Also worth noting
that nylon absorbs up to 7% by weight water. Does that make it less brittle
? Nigel or Ivan please?=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A____________________________
____=0A From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>=0ATo: europa-list@matron
ics.com =0ASent: Saturday, 11 August 2012, 21:00=0ASubject: Europa-List: ou
uerner@orange.fr>=0A=0AHi Monowheel drivers,=0AI broke one outrigger leg tw
o months ago and flew for a while with an emergency repair designed on site
 just to allow me to go back home: the repair was made using the existing r
emains of the nylon rod lengthened with scrap aluminum tubing. When I final
ly received the nylon rods ordered from the Europa factory I could not use
them because they were slightly too short and badly machined. So I ordered
a length of 1"1/4 Nylon from ACS and installed them immediately. At the fir
st landing, one of the all new legs broke just at mid length. I was very em
barassed as this happened on a big airport were I had the honor of a jumbo
eight wheeler fire truck! This time I managed to repair quickly as I was ca
rrying the old emergency repaired rod in the aircraft. I am now afraid of f
lying with the aircraft as it is, as an out rigger leg can break again at t
he next landing.=0AMy questions:=0A- How is that possible that a new nylon
rod breaks at the very first landing while the original parts have been abl
e to withstand 12 years of aging, 950 flight hours and probably one or two
thousand landings, some of them not as smooth as they should be?=0A- How is
 that possible that the nylon rod broke right at mid length, which is not w
here the maximum stress is located? Note that the first leg broke at the up
per end which seems logical to me.=0A- What is the experience on other mono
wheels regarding the life of those nylon rods?=0A- has anyone designed and
tested a variation of the original outriggers, with rods made of other mate
rials such as glass fiber, steel...?=0ARegards=0ARemi Guerner=0AF-PGKL, gro
unded=0A=0A=0A=0A=0ARead this topic online here:=0A=0Ahttp://forums.matroni