Europa-List: Re: AN-2

Subject: Europa-List: Re: AN-2
From: Richard Lamprey <lamprey.richard@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 01:19:35

Raimo,

I understand that the AN-2 controls are so heavy that you have to be a Russian
weightlifter to fly it.  Heres a picture of an AN-2 I came across at the remote
northern Uganda airfield of Arua in June 2010, on border with South Sudan and
Democratic Republic of Congo.  It was used by the Uganda army (UPDF), who had
chartered it from an Israeli operator, for flying supplies to their forward
bases in Congo against rebels.  This cargo consisted mostly of bananas and US
military advisers.  They kindly let me on board for a photo of the panel (see
attached).  Sadly, it crashed six months later (see attached), nobody (11 on
board)
was hurt, which says alot about the slow landing speed, all that was left
was the frame and a heap of smoking bananas.  I attach a report of the crash
in Russian international press.  Apparently the plane had no paperwork of any
kind, Certificate of Airworthiness or anything, so it is amazing it was flown
across Africa to that remote spot.

Have a great time, I am highly envious!

Best Richard
Kenya