RE: Europa-List: Cockpit cover - Any colour as long as it's white

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Cockpit cover - Any colour as long as it's white
From: Rob Housman <rob@hyperionef.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:17:24
Please don't take offence, all I want to do is clarify the science involved

Your reply convinces me that you do not understand any of the mechanisms of
heat transfer applicable to keeping the cockpit relatively cool when the
airplane is left in the sun.  That is forgivable for folks that are not
educated in the science of heat transfer, but what is unforgivable is the
manufacture's mistaken belief that UV has something to do with heat, and
that conduction is a significant contributor to increasing the temperature
in the cockpit.  UV is at the opposite end of the electromagnetic spectrum
---From infrared, and while all of the spectrum contributes something to
heating the further we get from infrared the less the contribution.

Briefly, there are three means of heat transfer, radiant, conductive, and
convective.

Radiant heat transfer predominates when the temperature of the source, in
this case the sun, is very high.  This is because the radiant energy is
proportional to the absolute temperature (Kelvin or Rankine scale) raised to
the fourth power.  We experience radiant heat transfer from everyday things
like the heating elements on an electric range, from a flame, or even a
tungsten light bulb, all of which are sources at relatively high
temperatures.

Conductive heat transfer predominates in solid materials such as the cockpit
covers in question, and at lower temperatures.  Conduction is what makes the
handle of a pot on the stove get hot after the pot is heated by radiation
---From the burner and heat is transferred (conducted) through the aluminum,
cast iron, or copper pot, to the handle

Convection, either natural or forced, transfers heat by moving a fluid
(either a gas or liquid) from a higher temperature location to a lower
temperature location.  We use this method to cool both liquid and air cooled
engines.

So, getting back to my original point:

The best way to keep the cockpit cool is with a material that reflects the
sun's radiant energy.  A layer of aluminum foil will do this quite well.
Gold foil will be better still but a bit more expensive (check out the
amount of gold you see in pictures of satellites).  Since the interior
surface of the cover in question is a few degrees warmer than ambient, and
nowhere near the temperature of a light bulb for example, there is virtually
no radiation from the interior of the cover to the cockpit, hence my
assertion that the measurements you made are meaningless.  If anything, the
cover with the highest interior temperature might actually help reduce the
temperature in the cockpit because it is a demonstrably poor insulator which
means that once the cockpit is hotter than the ambient air the heat can be
transferred by conduction to the surface of the windows and from there
convection will remove heat to the air.

Further comments below.

Best regards,

Rob Housman