Europa-List: Re: Changing HT leads on Rotax UL914

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Changing HT leads on Rotax UL914
From: Alan Carter <alancarteresq@onetel.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:47:35

Hello.
This is just an ending to this thread.
I finally found the problem was a Mag Coil,firing the bottom front cylinders.
So replaced with a new Coil costing 275 all in.
This time i managed to fit it without removing the inlet manifold as per Rotax
manual, but to get at the nuts and bolts was very difficult,but i managed it,
but probably saved no time.
To replace a Mag or a lower HT lead is simple job but a Pigs Ear of a job to get
at.
Anyway all is well and its running as sweet as a nut.
First Flight was on Sunday, and it flew beautifully , as an X Instructor and my
first experience with a Europa i would say or my opinion is 2x as difficult as
a Cessna 150 in skill. You may think differently.
But on the last landing i had a Bird Strike , a Crow hit during flare and hold
off, it hit the leading edge of the right tailplane, i think ?
Bird intact, No blood, a few feathers missing,The Aircraft is new to me , but i
think a small 3mm chip made by the beak of the bird may have been made, you have
to look for it, but i know its there, That really rounded off my day.
All the best.
Alan

Read this topic online here: